World DipCon VIII
A Collection of Reports and Photographs
A number of people from The Diplomatic Pouch and its readership
were on hand at the joint
DipCon XXXI/World DipCon VIII, held at DixieCon in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Now you can experience the event vicariously
through their words.
- In Impressions From DipCon, by Buz Eddy,
you can see what one of the most respected veterans has to say about the experience.
- To contrast with that, check out what a complete newbie took away from the
event. For this, you need nothing more than Jon Mlinar's
I Love This Game (the title kind of ruins
any suspense you might have had, doesn't it?)
- The inimitable Larry Peery has typed up his own take, with his
Says You Can't Go Home Again? This musical article is located at
personal Website (not here at The Pouch).
- Also on Larry's personal pages, you can find (and should
definitely check out) his
DipCon Shrine! There you can find out all you need to know about the
history of our World Championship Tournament. See memorabilia and photos
from WDC's past!
- How about a few words from our new World Champion, Chris Martin? Okay.
In Reflections on the Merits of Becoming World
Champion, Chris forwards us a bunch of mail he has received since
his achievement, so that we can all suffer through his good fortune with him.
- Not enough from Mr. Martin? Okay. He also chimes in with
Be The Little Guy, telling us all
exactly how he went about becoming the World Champion. It's now a
tried and tested formula, so it'll probably never work again.
- In What I Learned at World DipCon, David Willis relates...well, he relates what he learned at World
DipCon. (What did you expect?)
- Jamie McQuinn supplies his own recollections of Chapel Hill in his
Notes From World DipCon 8. See what The Pouch's
Postal Section leader has to say about this latest annual gathering.
- Scott Morris, showing the stuff true Diplomacy players are made of, played while ill,
but had more than enough fun to write all about it in
Fear and Loathing at World DipCon.
- Simon Szykman provides Yet Another World
DipCon Report. Read how Simon, a multiple award winner (!), viewed the stabfest.
- Last but certainly not least, be sure to check out the
Photographs from the Convention,
where you can either see what you missed, or re-live the good time you had!
The photos were either contributed by David Norman (thanks, David!) or stolen
with a bald face from Larry Peery's article (thanks, Larry!)
What? No WDC articles from Manus or Pitt? Nope; not this issue.
But don't worry -- they're in the works!