by Edi Birsan
Over the course of 46 years of production in 7 different languages and about 25
different editions, the Diplomacy map has seen quite a few unique spellings and
configurations in both legal and pirated versions. If Mapquest was to be used there
would be quite a few interesting oddities. Here is just some of the map insanity that
has been seen:
- Where is Monaco?
- What sea zone has a supply center?
- How many supply centers appear on the map?
- What is the most misspelled space?
- What language is Burgandy in?
- Galacia and Galicia both appear - which is correct?
- Ukraine, Ukrania?
- What provinces are unnamed that you CAN go to?
- Where can you find two letter abbreviations on an official conference map?
- When does the Eastern Mediterranean Sea NOT connect to the Ionian Sea?
- What was the most lame excuse ever given for a misspelling by a company?
- What province was actually changed to reflect a person's name? (No, it was not EDInburgh — despite 40 years of lobbying on the issue by your friendly EDItor!)
- What is the greatest original misnaming in the 1961 commercial Games Research edition?
If you wish to e-mail feedback on this article to the author, and clicking
on the envelope above does not work for you, feel free to use the "Dear
DP..." mail interface.